As a condition of service to the league, all managers, coaches, Board of Directors members and any other persons, volunteers or hired workers, who provide regular service to the league and/or have repetitive access to, or contact with players or teams, must complete and submit an official “Little League Volunteer Application” to the local league president. Annual background screenings must be completed prior to the applicant assuming his/her duties for the current season. Refusal to annually submit a fully completed “Little League Volunteer Application” must result in the immediate dismissal of the individual from the local league. For those leagues that have not used First Advantage previously, first time volunteers must use the “Little League Volunteer Application”, while returning volunteers can utilize the “Little League Returning Volunteer Application”.
In order to assist local leagues, Little League International has teamed up with First Advantage to provide each chartered U.S. league with 125 FREE searches. Also, any additional searches above 125 that may be necessary for each league will be available for a nominal fee.
7 Questions to Consider Prior to Conducting Background Checks:
- Are we doing all of the background checks that are required?
Remember: It does not matter who was checked last year - they must be performed on an annual basis.
- How many managers/coaches do we have per team - 2 or 3?
- How many additional people are helping at practices as “practice coaches”?
- Are we checking all the umpires that will be working in our league, even those from an umpire association?
- How many board members?
- How many parent(s) are assisting teams in various capacities?
- Do we have other positions in the league like equipment manager, field maintenance, scorekeeper, and/or announcer?