Leagues may purchase their insurance from any outside source, but the Accident Insurance and General Liability Insurance must, at a minimum, include comparable limits and scope of coverage to that provided by the AIG group insurance program for Little League®. They offer the following types of insurance coverage:
1. Accident InsuranceThe Little League Player Accident Policy, underwritten by National Union Fire Insurance Company (a member company of AIG). is an excess coverage, accident only plan, to be used as a supplement to other insurance carried under a family policy or insurance provided by an employer. The policy is subject to a $50 deductible that is the responsibility of the claimant. If a covered injury requires necessary treatment in the form of medical services or supplies provided by a physician, nurse, therapist, or other medical professional within 30 days after the date of the accident the Company will pay the reasonable expenses incurred.
Such reasonable expenses must be incurred within 52 weeks after the date of the injury to be considered (subject to any deferred benefits). The maximum accident medical expense benefit is $100,000 for any one injury to any one Insured.
This accident insurance covers eligible participants (players, appointed/approved managers and coaches, volunteer umpires, scorekeepers, player agents, and safety officers) while traveling directly, without delay, to and from the field as well as during Little League practice sessions and games. Coverage also extends to league volunteers involved in authorized league activities. No coverage is in effect until the league has submitted their Charter Application and Insurance Enrollment form and the premium has been paid in full. This is a brief description of coverage.
2. Liability InsuranceThis contains General Liability, Directors & Officers Liability and Cyber Liability Coverage.
A. General Liability Insurance
General Liability Insurance covers your local league against litigation involving bodily injury or property damage claims, subject to any applicable exclusions. No coverage is in effect until the league has submitted their Charter Application and Insurance Enrollment form and the premium has been paid in full. If the league is served with litigation and/or made aware that someone is or will bring litigation against the local league for a bodily injury or property damage claim, please notify our office immediately with as much information that is currently available to the league. The information provided will be submitted to the insurance carrier for review.
B. Directors and Officers Liability Insurance
Directors & Officers Liability Insurance which is optional, covers litigation against your local league for issues involving discrimination, acts beyond granted authority, wrongful dismissal, libel/slander/defamation of character or errors and omissions in the performance of the league’s official duties (exclusions apply). This coverage does not apply to bodily injury or property damage claims. If the league is served with litigation and/or made aware that someone is or will bring litigation against the local league for any of the above issues, please notify our office immediately with as much information that is currently available to the league. The information provided will be submitted to the insurance carrier for review.
C. Cyber Liability Insurance
The cyber liability insurance program can provide individual leagues with protection against the following:
- Third-party claims arising from a failure of the insured’s network security or a failure to protect data. Insurance also responds to regulatory actions in connections with a security failure, privacy breach or failure to disclose a security failure or privacy breach.
- Direct first-party loss mitigation costs of responding to a security failure or privacy breach by paying costs of notifications, public relations, and other services to assist in managing and mitigating a cyber-incident, including forensic investigations, legal consultations and identity monitoring costs for victum of a breach.
3. Crime InsuranceCrime Insurance, which is optional, but strongly encouraged for local leagues, protects leagues against a monetary loss caused by dishonesty, the disappearance of money, securities or other property and the destruction of money and securities. It also includes coverage for the burglary or theft of property and/or money. This policy does not protect the league with regard to acts such as vandalism, fire or flood. If desired, the league should purchase a local policy for protection against such events of their owned property. The premium is very reasonable at $250 per League or District.